It can be hard to find vegan gravy in the supermarket, even harder to find one that is gluten-free. This recipe is so quick and easy, (and extremely tasty) you will never want to buy the tin stuff again!
What’s a roast without gravy? You can have all the trimmings this Christmas with this quick and easy full of flavour recipe. A gluten-free option is included here but note the two slightly different methods below.
This gravy will go perfectly with a Vegan Walnut and Mushroom Wellington this Christmas.
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp plain or gluten free flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp ‘beef’ style stock powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for a few minutes or until soft and golden.
If using the plain flour, sprinkle on top of the onion and stir through, creating a bit of a paste. Cook off the flour, continuing to stir but not brown for 1-2 minutes. Add half a cup of the water and whisk through briskly. Whisk until the gravy thickens.
If using the gluten free flour, stir to dissolve first in ½ cup of the water. Pour this into the onions and cook off the flour, continuing to stir but not brown for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining water, stock and soy sauce. Whisk quickly to create a smooth gravy.
- Continue to stir until thick and glossy. Take off the heat.
- Add cracked black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.