One thing you need to know about me (Simon) is that in the vegetable world, the Potato is on the top. The most versatile vegetable in my opinion and I could be wrong but I love the humble potato. I actually offered to cook Jaime a 5-course Potato feast, however, she declined. I will still do this one day and show everyone how good it is.
Anyway on top these gems. Most recipes call for goose fat and butter and all sorts of animal fat to get your potatoes crispy and good, but I say hell no to that. We can do it just as good without all that.
This shows you how.
- 1.5 kg of potatoes baby ones are preferable
- A bunch of fresh thyme
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Chilli salt
- Extra olive oil for frying
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Cut your baby potatoes in half or larger potatoes into quarters.
- Grab a large bowl and put your potatoes in and cover in olive oil, some ripped up thyme, the garlic cloves and mix it all up.
- Place on an Oven proof tray and cook for 25 mins.
- Take the potatoes out and throw them into a fry pan (only enough to cover the pan) then grab your potato masher and smash them down a bit til they split slightly.
- Fry until they get crispy in a little extra olive oil.
- Take out and place on absorbent paper and repeat until all cooked.
- Sprinkle with chilli salt and salt if needed and eat them immediately.