Save money and the planet by gifting eco-friendly.
The holiday season can be a stressful and expensive time of the year. Even more so when you find out that with all the time you took in thinking about the gift for your friend or sibling, only 1% (of items) remain in use six months after sale(1). Even the goods we might have expected to hold onto are soon condemned to destruction through either planned obsolescence (breaking quickly) or perceived obsolescence (becoming unfashionable). That’s not very eco-friendly is it?
Take a second to imagine all the waste from your office secret santa, both sides of your family, all the nieces and nephews, your kids teacher and best friends pet dog Scooby. The planet is in bad enough shape as it is without another Christmas to fuck it up some more.
So, what to do?
Why not make this Christmas more eco-friendly and thoughtful. There is a huge range of choice before you resort to buying new gifts, and it won’t take much time or break the bank.
**Don’t forget, gift wrapping is not recyclable or eco-friendly. Instead, grab a roll of brown paper or reuse newspaper to wrap this holiday season.
- Event tickets
- Gallery and expo tickets
- Grocery gift cards
- Good at something that costs lots of money? Gift some of your time.
- Help painting a house
- Small handyman projects
- Reclaim furniture with a new finish
- Clothes alterations, turn something old into something new and ‘on trend’
- Repurpose old toys and clothes
- Buy 2nd hand from eBay, Facebook marketplace or Gumtree
- Search antique shops and second-hand stores
- Get crafty and make your next gift
- Bake some tasty treats
- Grow some plants or veggies and put them in cute pots as gifts
- Beauty products like body scrubs and face masks.
- Buy eco-friendly gifts (check out a good scout)
- Practical items such as tote bags, bamboo straws, and toothbrushes
Here’s a handy print out guide